First and Second Grades
Our 1st & 2nd-grade teacher is Mrs. Melanie Deede, who brings years of teaching experience to her classroom. Her degree is in Elementary Education and Special Education. She was in the congregation when they first announced that there was an opening for a First-Grade teacher at Hope Lutheran and has taught here 23 out of the 24 years since. She is married to her wonderful husband, Josh, and they have four children. In her free time, she likes to run, hike, fish, swim, and do Spartan obstacle races. Her favorite time of the year is Lutheran Schools Week at the end of January. It is a time to celebrate the amazing school that we have here, as well as be able to have fun dressing up with the students. Her students learn in an exciting environment and work is planned for each of their individual learning goals.
First Grade Details
Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 4:05 p.m.
Our Extended Elementary Program offers your student options for an extended academic track unique to Hope Lutheran School.
Your child will benefit from more focused instruction time as less time is spent in transition from subject to subject. Our teachers will have more opportunities to introduce new teaching methods into the classrooms.
As always, our focus is on creating a rigorous academic program taught in a caring, Christian environment.
Expanded Academic Track (Optional)
Monday – Thursday 4:05 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Our Expanded Academic Track allows your student to spend more time with a qualified teacher. Parents choose to opt-in to the Extended Track each trimester. Activities in the Expanded Academic Track may include:
- Project-based learning activities
- Foreign language
- Additional music instruction
- Other activities
This time is with a teacher, not in an extended-care environment.
Friday Day-Camp (Optional)
Friday Morning 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., $25 fee per day per child.
Friday will be structured as a three-session Day-Camp. The morning session will focus on an academic project or other structured activity.
After a break for lunch (not included) a session for physical activity such as a team building game, organized sport, or other activity.
The third session will be a bible-based program similar to our popular Vacation Bible School summer program. These sessions will include a brief lesson, songs, games, and a craft appropriate for each age group.
First Grade Curriculum
- Understand that Jesus Christ died to take away our sins
- Learn Biblical principles through daily Bible stories and relate these Christian concepts to their own lives
- Know that everything we have is a gift from God
- Express thankfulness
- Give praise and adoration to Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- Learn weekly memory verse
- Sound-to-letter relationships
- Blending sounds into words
- Oral reading of good quality literature
- Accelerated Reader program
- Read independently
- Objects around us
- Investigating water
- Plants and animals
- Earth and rocks
- Refine basic locomotor skills and movement
- Running, tag, and circle games
- Simple ball games
- Simple relays
- Working together and team work
- Experimentation with colors
- Express individuality through the use of different mediums
- Learn about famous artists
- Sorting and classifying
- Basic addition and subtraction using manipulatives
- Basic math facts to 18
- Beginning geometry
- Place value and number patterns to 100
- Money and time concepts with the calendar and clock
- Measurement using inches and centimeters
- Fractions and graphs
- Changes in people and places over time
- Basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter
- Similarities and differences of people
- Use of globes and maps
- Letter formation, placement, and word spacing
- Correct posture
- Self-evaluation to build independent, neat writers
- Journal writing
- Identify loud and soft sounds
- Describe and create fast and slow sounds
- Imitate and practice steady beat
- Hear and sing music
- Participate in the spring Operetta
- Introduction to Hand Chimes
- Introduction to computers
- Mouse usage
- Introduction to keyboarding